Djokovic says he gave the green light to Australia after being infected with COVID

  • Share

World number one Novak Djokovic (8/1) said in a lawsuit on Saturday that he had been medically dismissed from his COVID-19 vaccine because he contracted the virus last month. This was announced after Djokovic was refused entry to Australia.

In a court filing over his visa cancellation before Monday’s hearing, Djokovic said he has received an exemption from tournament organizer Tennis Australia. He also pocketed a follow-up letter from the Ministry of the Interior saying he was allowed to enter the country.

The Serbian athlete hopes to win his 21st Grand Slam at the Australian Open later this month. He was detained for three days by Melbourne immigration authorities, a case that has caused excitement in sporting, political and diplomatic circles.

The drama caused tensions between Serbia and Australia and also served as a torch for those who oppose the vaccination requirement around the world.

In a dossier on his experience at Melbourne Airport, Djokovic said, “I recently announced that I was infected with COVID in December 2021 and on that basis I am entitled to a medical exemption in accordance with Australian Government rules and guidelines.” Said.

Djokovic told Australian Border Force officers that “I have duly prepared the Australian Travel Declaration and otherwise fulfilled all the requirements to enter Australia lawfully on my visa”.

Djokovic tested her first positive for COVID-19 on December 16, but as of December 30, “she has not developed a fever or respiratory symptoms of COVID-19 in the past 72 hours,” he said.

On January 1, he said he received a document from the Home Office stating that his response met “the requirements for a non-quarantined arrival in Australia.”

A federal court ordered the Department of the Interior to send its response on Sunday. [ah]

  • Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *